nêhiyawêwin

Resources for Cree learning/support

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of apihtawikosisan apihtawikosisan 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of apihtawikosisan
    apihtawikosisan
    Keymaster

If you are looking for nêhiyawêwin (Cree language) resources, here are a few that are widely available and of excellent quality.

This is a complete grammar guide to the Cree language. Few people can pick up a grammar guide and learn a language, but it is an absolute must-have to supplement your language learning.

This workbook accompanies the grammar guide above, and provides exercises for practice. It is not meant to be a complete “learn Cree” course, but it does provide useful supplementary materials.

These CDs go with the workbook above. The audio quality is not great, but if you have the time and patience, you can clean it up with Audacity which is a free, open source recording and editing software. Each ‘track’ on the CDs are very long and I found it necessary to cut the tracks up into smaller, more manageable pieces. You can still use this resources without putting in that work, but it becomes an exceptional resource with just a little elbow grease.

This is a must-have. There is an online dictionary that I will link to, but nothing quite beats having a physical dictionary, imo. You have one volume which is Cree to English, and the other which is English to Cree.

The Cree dictionary is also available online, and you can get it as a free app on your Apple or Android device.

• How to Spell it in Cree (The Standard Roman Orthography)

I don’t have a link for this one, as it is a little hard to get your hands on. It is written by Jean Okimâsis and Arok Wolvengrey, as are many of the materials above. It is very useful if you want to use standardized written Cree. To get a copy, your best bet is to email the authors at miywasin@accesscomm.ca or find Arok Wolvengrey on Facebook and work out the order with him.

Speaking of Facebook, who knew it could be a platform that successfully brings together Cree linguists, speakers and learners? This is an amazing resource and unprecedented access to a wide range of Cree language expertise, so if you’re not already a member, join up! There is a search function on the page so if you are thinking of asking a question, check to see whether it’s already been addressed.

This website has many resources available both online and in print, so take some time to get familiar with the site!

Those are some resources to get you going. There is more out there, but these are some of the resources I use the most.

Profile photo of apihtawikosisan
    apihtawikosisan
    Keymaster

Another good online resource is the Cree Literacy Network, which focuses on standardized Cree. There is some really great content over there, and I’ll be cross posting some of it in the hopes that we can spread this info far and wide!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.